Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Hard vs. Easy

It's kinda funny how when you start thinking about something in particular, suddenly you find it/see it/read it/hear it everywhere.  I had started thinking about easy/recovery runs and how everything I read indicated that most people run their easy runs way too hard or fast.  I had that information in the back of my mind, but after taking my coaching classes, it was really in the forefront and I decided that I was going to make a concentrated effort to make my easy runs... well, easy! 

Easier said then done... I am really struggling with the SLOW and SHORT concepts.  I have a terrible tendency to just run... and if I feel good, I run some more!  OK.. actually not a terrible tendency, but not helpful when I'm working towards a goal and adding 10 miles to what is supposed to be a slow, easy 5 is counterproductive.  Don't get me wrong.. I'm not a fast runner, but I like to push the pace a bit and will definitely run longer if given the option.

It's a struggle to rein myself in, but I'm really hoping that by making my recovery runs truly easy and short that I'll be able to handle some more mileage on the hard days.  My body tends to break down in the 65-70 MPW range, but if I can get proper rest and recovery on alternate days, I should be able to bump those figures up.  Here's to hoping the "experts" are right... 'cuz this experiment is already driving me crazy!  If only there really was an "easy button!"

2 comments:

  1. I know what you mean about those easy runs, I just can't help myself if I'm feeling good. I also think it's such a waste when I could be pushing myself too.

    I have recently heard a great running truth in that you do not overtrain, you "under rest". Which is why the elite guys can run massive distances in training, because they have a sleep in the after noon, get plenty of rest and eat the right food - basically comes down to priorities and dedication. For those of us who are time poor, it doesn't seem right to go and do an Easy run, when it could be hard!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Understand completely. I believe in the science behind the teaching, but like you said, it's hard to put into practice.

    ReplyDelete