Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Ultra love

Before I get to writing up 2 more race reports... yes I am woefully behind... I must give a short shout out of congratulations to my wonderful friend Christy.  She and her most FABULOUS guy got engaged recently... and this makes my heart very happy. 
You might ask what this has to do with running?  Well.... my ultra "career" would not be where it is today if it wasn't for the hard work and dedication of this woman.  Christy has seen me through all of my big ultras.. she has been a training partner, a tireless crew chief, a patient pacer and a rock to lean on... she also has the amazing ability to read my mind and ignore my whining.  She has driven countless hours and eaten crappy food, gone without sleep and put up with hours of bitching and moaning... and for what???  She doesn't get the belt buckle or the medal or the finishers sweatshirt but she deserves all those and more. 

She has put up with the worst of me... Leadville 100 of 09 springs to mind.  We are just a few miles from the finish and the 30 hour mark is closing in fast, I am hurting and more pissed off then I have ever been in my life... helpful people keep telling me "you're almost there" but they've been telling me that for an hour and I'm at the end of my rope.  Christy has been pacing me from Fish Hatchery, got me over SugarLoaf Pass, got me in and out of May Queen before the cutoff and got me to make up time around Turquoise Lake.... and when she gently suggested that we might want to pick up the pace a little bit I turned to her and snarled "f*ck off".  Not a shining moment in my life... instead of punching me in the head like I deserved, she simply kept walking with me and ignored it... and she got me onto that red carpet before the 30 hour cutoff. 

Heartland 100 of 2010 also springs to mind... Christy has not been able to run or even walk or sit or lay comfortably for months.. ever since she fractured her back.  She and her wonderful guy Dave still volunteer to come out and crew for me.. I cannot imagine the amount of pain she was in, but she never complained, never let on that she was hurting.  Dave was there helping out side by side with her... together they got me to yet another 100 mile finish. It was only appropriate that they told me of their engagement the night before an ultra. 
 I owe Christy (and Dave) a debt I can never repay.  I'm not entirely sure how I got so lucky to find such an incredibly caring friend, but I thank my lucky stars that I did.  I wish nothing but a lifetime of love, joy, devotion, health and riches for my incredible friends, you deserve nothing but the best!

5 comments:

  1. Awww, Coleen you made me all teary eyed! Thank you for your love and kind words!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, Christy rocks!! I can't wait for her to be all better, but at least we know her heart is in excellent shape!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful tribute. I think many of us have a story or two about how "Hawk Mama" has been there for us. Thanks for sharing yours, LBH, and congratulations Christy and Dave!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love! Love! Love! What a sweet post, Coleen! Congrats, Christy! I know I told you this on FB, but I'm super excited for you! — Sarah

    ReplyDelete